Nina Owissa Smart (b1975)
Nina Smart has always painted, exhibiting her first artwork at age 13. Born in Melbourne in 1975 and raised in a creative family, Nina was effectively self-taught until she commenced a Bachelor of Fine Arts - Drawing, at Victorian College of the Arts in 1995. Her work has been shown at the National Gallery of Victoria on a number of occasions in different exhibitions, she also accepted an invitation from the National Gallery of Victoria to be Guest Speaker for the Top CATS Exhibition Opening Night Gala Dinner in 1998.
Nina's work is constantly evolving as is her choice of medium, from beautiful watercolours of faces and the human form, to the more time intensive commissioned oils of some of the horse racing & equestrian worlds legends in all their grandeur, from her bold and striking pastels to her more recent appreciation for the acrylic medium, Nina is constantly exploring and refining her technique, searching for a use of colour and application of paint which results in a unique style that can only be described as her own.
Nina currently lives in Geelong and paints both at home and from her studio in Colac.
- “She who loves” Walker St Gallery Women’s Art Award 2011 – Short-listed
- Gordon Institute Retrospective 2009 – Gordon Gallery – Group Show
- Williamstown Contemporary Art Prize 2009 - People’s Choice Award Winner
- Turf Monthly Equine Art Prize 2008 - Equitana Asia Pacific – Short-listed
- Williamstown Contemporary Art Prize 2008 - Short-listed
- Little Malop Gallery - Geelong Emerging Artists (group show) 2008
- Linden Gallery – Postcard Show 2007
- Gordon Gallery - Geelong Regional Artists Exhibition 2007 – Short-listed
- Colac Otway Estate Gallery - Corangamarah Art Prize 2007 – Short-listed
- Birregurra Annual Art Exhibition- Highly Commended Pastel Award Winner
- National Gallery of Victoria – VCE Top CATS Gala Dinner – guest speaker 1998
- Dilkara Arts Festival – Highly Commended 2D Art Award Winner 1998
- Kyneton Daffodil Festival – group show 1997
- National Gallery of Victoria – "Mixed Platter" (group show) 1996
- "Mixed Platter" tours Bendigo, Ballarat and Warnambool Regional Galleries 1996
- Victorian College of the Arts (drawing course- Bachelor of Fine Art) 1995
- The National Gallery of Victoria – VCE Top CATS exhibition. 1995
- Equine Portrait Artist - ongoing
For quality reproductions see Red Bubble: